Monday, July 9, 2012

Ideal Enterprise Platform

Before I officially started at Granite State College, one of my new colleagues in the Ed Tech department asked me a question along the lines of, "What is your ideal platform?"  The question was asked in the context of information technology, and at the time I interpreted the question as, "Which enterprise information system would you implement if you had your choice?"

In my head, I immediately started listing products such as Google Enterprise, Microsoft SharePoint, salesforce.com Chatter, MediaWiki... but I think I lost sight of the more important question:  "Why would platform x, or any platform for that matter, be ideal?"  What do I hope to accomplish?  What kind of culture do I want to cultivate?  Technology is but a means to an end.  So, what does that end look like?

With the question having shifted away from technology and into culture and people, I started painting a mental picture of the ideal organization, where all staff...
  • work toward a common goal;
  • consider the best interest of the organization in making decisions;
  • consider the impact on others when making decisions;
  • trust one another to do what's right;
  • are empowered to do what's right;
  • are human and will make honest mistakes from time to time.

I want to create an environment where people are not only highly productive but also happy in doing great work that matters.

Is there a single product that can facilitate the creation of such an organization?  I don't think so.  I also don't think there ever will be a single product as an all-encompassing solution.  So, as an organization, the next best thing is to develop critical competencies in identifying best-in-class solutions and integrating the snot out of everything.