Monday, May 21, 2012

100-Day Plan: Acronyms to Remember

In the interest of retaining what I'm reading, I'd like to try to remember some of the acronyms used in the New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan.

ADEPT is used as an adjective to describe the kind of people one needs to hire and retain, but the actual components of the adjective are verbs: acquire, develop, encourage (or empower, in my vocabulary), plan and transition. Those are all of the actions that a leader must take in order to surround him- or herself with truly adept or competent people.

BRAVE is also used as an adjective to describe the members of a high-performing team. Without having read the actual chapter where this is discussed, I'm guessing that brave employees are ones who are equipped to make and follow through on major decisions (relative to their roles) without needing myriad levels of approvals or reviews. The acronym itself is composed of nouns (behaviors, relationships, attitudes, values, environment) that must be aligned in order to enable staff to be brave, although not to the extent of being foolishly brave.

The final one I remember is called ACES, an acronym I really like: assimilate, converge and evolve, or shock. I used to play poker and love the word "aces", and it aptly summarizes the two strategies (I think) of a new leader for creating change in an organization. One is smoother, and one is more abrupt. I can't wait to dive into the chapter where this is discussed in more detail!